Florida is a destination State for many people as the population within the US shifts from the Snow Belt to the Sun Belt.  Moving to Florida from another State comes with some distinct requirements that many people are uncertain about in connection with Insurance; Auto & Home.  Below we will discuss some of the items to check off of your list.


When you move to Florida permanently, the State requires you to obtain a Florida Drivers License within your first 30 days.  This requirement is independent of your personal auto insurance.  However, now that I bring that up, I would recommend notifying your insurance carrier the day you officially move.  Your auto policy was rated based off of a garaging address in another State.  In the event you do not notify the Carrier and you have a substantial loss; they could have an objection to the claim based upon Material Misrepresentation of Fact.


Obviously, if you are making a move of this magnitude, it is a good idea to talk with your agent in advance.  This way, they can help propose options that will best protect you post move.  Also, the rates may be more than you are accustomed to and that is a surprise no one likes.  Moreover, waiting until late in the games gives you less options to maneuver.  They may not be licensed to represent you in Florida.  Alternatively, they may have limited markets available to represent you.  In either of those cases, it is prudent to discuss your scenario with a Florida Insurance Expert who can help guide you.

If you are buying a Home or a Condo, Insurance pricing is driven by exposure to Wind as we are exposed to Hurricanes.  As such, there are specific inspections called a Wind Mitigation Inspection & a 4 Point Inspection which documents the construction steps that were taken to mitigate wind losses.  These inspections are not synonymous with a general property inspection (although they can often be done by the same inspection company).  The credits detailed on these can save you thousands of dollars every year so it is imperative you get your hands on them.  Total cost for both is about $125.  If you are moving to a condo, you can often ask the management office if they have a copy on file.

Along the same lines, if you are buying a home and the home is located in a high hazard Flood Zone as defined by FEMA, there is the potential for savings if your home is elevated.  The concept is, the water will not flow up to your home.  The way positive elevations are demonstrated are by an Elevation Certificate by a licensed engineer with time stamped photos.  If you are in that scenario, you need that which can run an additional $250-500.

Collect all these inspections and send it over to us and we will ascertain you get the appropriate coverage for your Homeowners Insurance; Flood Insurance, & Auto Insurance Respectively.

Call us or Text us at 561-287-6279

or Email me directly at mrovner@rovnerco.com